Tuesday 24 March 2015

Updated article

Abby, you’re new to the music industry, how are you finding it?

Abby: it’s great so far quite intimidating but I just can’t wait to get my music out there.

So how did you get into music?

A: Well when I was about 12 people started telling me I had a great singing voice and I just loved singing so I started entering in school talent shows and stuff to see what kind of thing I could do. I just love it really its great fun and it makes other people happy. I did used to be part of a band called Rubix with my friends Ella and Danny and that’s when I started doing gigs. We were together for about a year but then we just kinda drifted apart so I went back to singing solo. It was a good experience though and it meant I felt better about doing gigs instead of just singing to my family and friends.

It must have been good to start out in a band with your friends. Did it give you more confidence to deal with suddenly being thrown into the music business?

A: Yeah it really did actually. I don’t think I would have been able to deal with it if I had tried to do this by myself. It’s a shame the band didn’t work out but I still reckon Ella and Danny could make it big. I’d certainly hire them if I need a backing band!

What was it like when you got signed?

A: Crazy! I was doing a gig at a local bar and there was this guy who approached me afterwards who said he was a talent scout and he thought my music was great and then he asked if I was interested in being signed and I was in shock for a couple of minutes before I said yes! I never expected it.

That must have been pretty cool! So you write your own songs?

A: Yeah I do I’ve been writing for a while now. I wrote songs for Rubix as well which was cool. I find it’s a great way to express myself and I often write about things that happen to me or things I want to happen to me. I also write a lot of songs inspired by rock and roll. It was a big part of my childhood and I just love it and I want to be able to write similar songs.

Is rock and roll your main inspiration then?

A: I guess it is one of my main inspirations but I also get inspiration from other people I listened to while I was growing up. I really liked listening to bands like Busted and Queen and recently I recently rediscovered my love of scouting for girls and McFly. I often get my inspiration from my surrounding and people I’m with. I also have little spots I go when I write songs that help me think. My favourite is a spot on the beach near where I live where I go a lot to help me write songs. I wrote quite a lot of the songs from my first album there.

That’s pretty cool. When is the new album out?

A: April 3rd. I’m really looking forward to getting my music out there.

Yeah it must be exciting! I look forward to hearing it. So what kind of music do you listen to now?

A: I like looking around and finding new unknown artists so I can support others like me that are just starting out in music. I really like Ed Sheeran he’s a great singer and I like that he plays guitar as well. I try and listen to a range of music but I try and keep away from big trends. I don’t like the way people only like music because it’s cool not because they actually like it or can relate. That’s why I try and write songs people can relate to. I also like to make my songs different and exciting not just the same things repeated for three minutes those songs I find really boring and annoying because they are just so repetitive.

Yeah it’s good to give less well known artists a chance. Do you have any hobbies when you’re not writing or doing gigs?

A: Well I spend a lot of my time walking around the area I live but I also like quad biking and I love skiing. I went on holiday to France a lot when I was younger so it’s something I have always enjoyed. I do spend a lot of my time relaxing and watching films on Netflix just to help me unwind.

Well it’s been great talking to you Abby I hope everything goes well with your first album!

No comments:

Post a Comment